Monday, December 10, 2007

Windows XP could not start because


A client got the following error message,
“Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE”

I did some research on this error and it shows the XP hive was corrupt. BAD NEWS!

His PC would not boot to XP. He had NO ,Backup or Windows XP CD.

Well, I though for sure that we were looking at a reload of XP with a potential loss of his data.

Since he was using a Toshiba OEM version of XP I could not simply us my XP CD to repair his files. I booted to the XP recovery tool and looked at his hard disk files. My plan was to use the recovery files that manufactures place on the hard disk to return the PC back to when it came from the factory.

No such luck, Toshiba does not use this recovery technique.

OK maybe I can use the CD to boot to “safe Mode” and restore the XP settings to the last good recovery point.

For once things came out better than expected as it booted to safe mode XP! I then restored the XP files to the last known good restore point and then tried to boot from the hard drive to XP.

A minor miracle the laptop booted to XP with no loss of data!

Unfortunately, the client did not want to invest in the time to run disk diagnostics to see if the drive was failing or an external disk drive to create a backup boot hard drive.

If you get a new PC this Christmas remember to put ALL of the CD's in a safe place. You may need them one day!

No comments:

Blog Posts

AddThis Social Bookmark Button