Monday, November 5, 2007

Ofinpa.A Virus - New Virus Bad Business!

It was a shock when my anti virus software (I was using CA) detected the Ofinpa.A Virus. I had just clicked on a link that was contained on a Craig's list posting (for a San Diego web developer). I after the CA software cleaned the infection I went to the CA virus encyclopedia (Link:
http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=66710 ), and found:

"HTML/Ofinpa.A is a detection of HTML files that have been modified by Win32/Ofinpa.A
Infected HTML files contain appended code that attempts to connect to the domain ntkrnlpa.info and download and execute a file. At the time of publication, this link returned an empty file."

The virus was added to the CA definition file on 10/29/2007. It is a new virus.

I have been researching this virus to see when other anti-virus providers will include it their virus detection updates. One has to remember that each software provider may change the given name of the virus slightly. Most maintain a cross reference list.

The take home message is to have current virus definitions that are automatically refreshed frequently.

This is especially important for computers used for business purposes! Need help with computers for your San Diego based business business? Contact me at SanDiegoCIO@gmail.com !

No comments:

Blog Posts

AddThis Social Bookmark Button